Front End Web Developer Job
This is a part time contract position for retainer work and smaller tasks on ecommerce websites, not currently for full website creation projects. There is always work to do at Aeolidia, and anyone who excels at this job may be considered for future ongoing work.
Aeolidia is a “one stop shop” design agency that develops brands and creates story-centered ecommerce websites for designers, artisans, and curators, since 2004.
We are a remote team of overachievers, united in our common goal of taking creative businesses to the next level. Each person who works at Aeolidia embodies these characteristics:
- Diligent achiever: Committed to exceeding expectations on each and every project.
- Curious learner: Continuously improves skills and knowledge and challenges assumptions.
- Humble expert: Confident about own work, open-minded, and ego never gets in the way.
- Positive ally: Proactively takes responsibility and finds win-win solutions.
- Creative supporter: Enthusiastic about helping small designer businesses succeed.
A Day in the Life
Now that we’ve covered what it’s like to work with Aeolidia, let’s chat about what you would be doing on an average day. The part-time Front End Web Developer will begin by working approximately 10-20 hours per week coding websites for our clients. The hours and role could grow based on how well you do and the demand for development work we have in the future.
Front End Web Development responsibilities include consulting on strategy, features, and functionality during the planning stages of each project, sharing your knowledge and doing research as design progresses, then moving on to coding the site’s custom design theme in Shopify. Each site you create should be flexible, allow for growth, and empower the client to add, edit, and replace content on their own using product listings, pages, blog posts, theme sections, and section blocks.
As each site we make is custom to each client, you will build out functionality as needed, and create tutorials for the client to use the functionality. You will advise clients about related issues, such as their domain name, URL redirects, product reviews, and SEO concerns. You will communicate with each client in written messages in our project management software, on screenshare calls, by video, and in chat.
You will integrate apps and coordinate integrations with app developers. You will be responsible for your own site testing, as well as responding to issues sent by our Quality Assurance team and our clients during the browser testing phase.
Every position with Aeolidia is a remote one, meaning you get to work from wherever you are! There are no set schedules or hours. Flexible schedules that fit around your life are what we do best. However, of course we do expect all of our team members to meet their goals and project expectations, so we’ll have weekly meetings to check in on progress, celebrate successes and help clear roadblocks that have a tendency to pop up from time to time. We want to ensure you (and every team member at Aeolidia) have every chance to be successful in this role and we’re committed to doing our part to make sure you are.
You’re a Great Fit For Our Team If:
- You can commit to working 10-20 hours per week, and may be interested in growing in the role.
- You have a reliable internet connection which allows you to work from anywhere.
- You’re a front-end developer with extensive Shopify ecommerce experience.
- You have WordPress experience as well, and can ensure one seamless-looking site between the two software programs.
- You know how to code a website from a Sketch file, PSD file, AI file, or Zeplin. Really, really well.
- You know what makes a user-friendly, high-converting ecommerce experience.
- You are experienced using Git to push commits to a remote repository like Bitbucket or Github.
- You have a comprehensive understanding of theme sections and section blocks.
- You know the difference between a section and a snippet and which one is appropriate for your use case.
- You write well organized, well indented, and commented code that is easily read by other developers.
- You are familiar with and know how to use structured data and JSON-LD.
- You are a skilled communicator who works one-on-one with clients.
- You are able to express yourself clearly and cheerfully to non-technical people over email, video, and phone.
- You are skilled at giving clear tutorials and walk-through trainings.
- You are punctual to an extreme.
- You are excited to keep growing and learning best practices and new technologies.
- You’re not someone who settles for the status quo. You continuously look for ways to improve and streamline our processes.
- You’ve been in a web development role for most of your career.
- You hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical field.
- You have experience working with ecommerce businesses.
- You’ve worked with and supported creative, small businesses.
Fun Perks to Look Forward To:
As part of the Aeolidia team, here are some benefits we will offer you:
- Flexible work schedule
- Remote work position
- Our virtual office is closed for two weeks during the winter holiday season
- Culture flexibility and freedom in decision making, problem solving, autonomous work environment, and ownership of your position and responsibilities
Flat per-project and hourly rates for this role are standard across our projects.
Aeolidia is an equal opportunity employer. We believe diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences to be critical to our success and are passionate about creating a welcoming, supportive, and collaborative environment for all employees. All are encouraged to apply as we continue to grow a smart, hard-working, and diverse team who love working together to build something that matters.
How to Apply
Does this sound exactly like you? Then we’re looking forward to meeting you! Apply here:
Let's take your online shop to the next level
The Shopify websites we design have a reputation for substantial improvements to ecommerce conversion rates and online sales. Let's talk!