Front End Web Developer Job
This is a full time contract position for the first three months, then a salaried position.
Aeolidia is a “one stop shop” design agency that develops brands and creates story-centered ecommerce websites for designers, artisans, and curators, since 2004.
Our team is united in our common goal of taking creative businesses to the next level. Each person who works at Aeolidia embodies these characteristics:
- Diligent achiever: Committed to exceeding expectations on each and every project.
- Curious learner: Continuously improves skills and knowledge and challenges assumptions.
- Humble expert: Confident about own work, open-minded, and ego never gets in the way.
- Positive ally: Proactively takes responsibility and finds win-win solutions.
- Creative supporter: Enthusiastic about helping small designer businesses succeed.
A Day in the Life
As a web developer for our clients, your work is vital in bringing our strategic design projects to life, and you will work closely with multiple designers and clients at a time to make sure the approved design is faithfully recreated on Shopify with all planned features and functionality. You will also work closely with our Ecommerce Strategist to be sure your work prepares our clients for success.
Front End Web Development responsibilities include consulting on strategy, features, and functionality during the planning stages of each project, sharing your knowledge and doing research as the design work progresses, then moving on to coding the site’s design theme in Shopify. Each site you create should be flexible, allow for growth, and empower the client to add, edit, and replace content on their own using product listings, pages, blog posts, theme sections, and section blocks.
For custom websites, you will begin with our starter theme, build out functionality as needed, and create tutorials for the client to use the functionality. For other projects, you will begin with one of our preferred themes and adjust the design as per the project scope. You will advise clients about related issues, such as their domain name, URL redirects, product reviews, and SEO concerns. You will communicate with each client in written messages in our project management software, on screen share calls, by video, and in chat.
You will integrate apps and coordinate integrations with app developers. You will be responsible for your own site testing, as well as responding to issues sent by our Quality Assurance team and our clients during the testing phase.
You’re a Great Fit For Our Team If
- You’re a front-end developer with at least three (3) years of Shopify ecommerce experience.
- You have experience creating development processes and best practices for a team, and providing documentation/communication and training, as needed, to the rest of the team.
- You know how to code a Shopify website from a Figma file. Really, really well.
- You know what makes a user-friendly, high-converting ecommerce experience.
- You are experienced using Git to push commits to a remote repository like Bitbucket or Github.
- You have a comprehensive understanding of theme sections and section blocks.
- You know the difference between a section and a snippet and which one is appropriate for your use case.
- You write well organized, well indented, and commented code that is easily read by other developers.
- You are familiar with and know how to use structured data and JSON-LD.
- You are a skilled communicator who works one-on-one with clients.
- You are able to express yourself clearly and cheerfully to non-technical people over email, video, and phone.
- You are skilled at giving clear tutorials and walk-through training.
- You are punctual to an extreme.
- You are excited to keep growing and learning best practices and new technologies.
- You’re not someone who settles for the status quo. You continuously look for ways to improve and streamline the company’s processes.
- You’re focused, diligent, and you make a point not to let important things or smaller details slip through the cracks.
- You’re not easily distracted by notifications, Slack, and email; you prioritize proactive work over reactive work and can carve out clear time to focus on projects.
- You’re an excellent communicator – clear, concise, and consistent in your approach.
- You’re energized by being part of a team and enthusiastic about supporting our existing proven processes.
- You can commit to working 32 hours per week.
- You have a reliable internet connection.
- Your clients’ success is your success – when they win, you win, too!
- You’ve been in a web development role for at least five (5) years.
- You hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical field.
- You have experience working with ecommerce business owners.
- You’ve worked with and supported creative small businesses.
Perks & Benefits
As part of the Aeolidia team, here are some benefits we will offer you:
- Flexible work schedule
- Remote work position
- 32 hour, 4 day weeks (we take Fridays off)
- 4 weeks of paid vacation to start
- Our virtual office is closed for two weeks during the winter holiday season
- Participation in a SIMPLE IRA plan with 3% annual company matching
- Profit sharing bonuses based on your contribution to how the company is doing financially
- Reimbursement for phone and internet plans (based on position)
- A culture of flexibility and freedom in decision making, problem solving, autonomous work environment, and ownership of your position and responsibilities
Salary for this role will be based upon your experience and skill set.
Aeolidia is an equal opportunity employer. We’re Black owned, woman owned, and have 100% female leadership. Diversity isn’t just a value for us, it’s literally who we are as people, how we live and exist in the world and in our bodies. We believe our variety of backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences to be critical to our success. We are passionate about creating a welcoming, supportive, and collaborative environment for all employees. All are encouraged to apply as we continue to grow a smart, committed, and diverse team who love working together to build something that matters.
How to Apply
Does this sound exactly like you? Then we’re looking forward to meeting you! Apply here:
Let's take your online shop to the next level
The Shopify websites we design have a reputation for substantial improvements to ecommerce conversion rates and online sales. Let's talk!