Aeolidia is growing and we’re looking for a Shopify Designer & Project Coordinator to join our team! You might be the perfect fit for this part-time, remote, contract position (with the possibility for growth into a full-time position) if you are an experienced web designer with solid Shopify and ecommerce familiarity. This job entails incorporating existing brand identity design and graphics into an existing Shopify theme, mostly using Shopify’s visual editor, but occasionally requiring some basic coding knowledge. The ideal candidate will also have experience doing simple project management, communicating with clients, and managing scheduling. These projects will be all yours!
Aeolidia is a “one stop shop” design agency that develops brands and creates story-centered ecommerce websites for designers, artisans, and curators that have made it past the startup phase. We pair our custom strategic Shopify websites with analytical insights to continually optimize clients’ sites, resulting in significant growth to their online retail sales.
Our employees are directly responsible for empowering awesome business owners to succeed, and are challenged with meaningful work that improves their particular skills. If this all sounds excellent to you, please keep reading to see if we might be a match to work together!
A Bit About Us
Aeolidia is a graphic design and web development agency that has been working with designer and artisan businesses since 2004. We’re the preeminent design team in our creative niche, and we dig deep into strategy based on information we get from each client’s website analytics while also truly understanding the branding part of it. We deliver a gorgeous AND powerful site every time.
A designer or artist’s story should be compelling to customers. We focus on storytelling for brands. This is about each business’s “why” and what makes them unique and irreplaceable to their perfect customers. Since we do business naming, brand vision and voice, brand graphic identity, copywriting, and photography in-house, we have the capability to craft a cohesive story without losing anything along the way.
We are a remote team of overachievers, united in our common goal of taking creative businesses to the next level by paving the way toward substantial increases to online sales.
Now Let’s Talk About You
As a designer for our clients, your work is vital in communicating their story effectively to their customers, and you will work closely with multiple content creators and clients at a time to make sure your designs will help the business owners meet their goals. To achieve this, you will receive guidelines from our ecommerce strategist to be sure your work prepares our clients for success, and will consult with our web developers as needed to implement functionality.
Here are just a few ways we see you being successful in the Shopify Designer & Project Coordinator role with Aeolidia:
You’re a Diligent Achiever
You work smartly to deliver a truly top notch experience to your clients. You seek unique solutions, meet each deadline, and just plain get things done. You are a reliable go-getter.
Capable, persistent, and resourceful, you never despair when you hit a roadblock or need to figure out something new. You give it a try, do the research, try try again, ask for help, test it out, succeed, then consider it a learning experience and a new tool in your kit.
You’re a Curious Learner
You know it would be easy to keep doing what has worked in the past, but you also know that technology changes quickly, each business is different, and what works in one case won’t be the best solution in others.
You stay abreast of advancements in design, technology, and each specialty area in your role. You value being at the top of your game, even as things change. You have big ideas, and you’re eager to figure out how to do them.
You’re a Humble Expert
It’s important that each member of our team approaches the client relationship from the mindset of a “doctor”—using their years of expertise and insight to prescribe the right solution. This is in sharp contrast to the “waiter” mentality of taking orders and doing what is asked of us.
You remember that each client knows their business better than you do, and that you have a lot to learn from them. You strike the balance by being authoritative but cooperative and open-minded. You are experienced and your role is to help guide your client down the path to their goal.
You are highly collaborative and function well within a team. You feel comfortable asking for help and being open about what you don’t yet know. And, in turn, eagerly show up and share the special knowledge you do have without being arrogant about it. You also facilitate a team environment where each member feels the same.
You’re a Positive Ally
You anticipate your clients’ needs and concerns, and take an active role in making them feel comfortable with their brand, their technology, and their next steps.
When you see a problem you can solve or help with, you leap to action to make progress toward a solution. You take as much responsibility for client dissatisfaction as you can, knowing that you’re the one guiding the relationship and setting expectations.
You find solutions that are more than just acceptable, but something the client is happy with, and that keeps your relationship with them on a good track.
You’re a Creative Supporter
Your work is meaningful to you. Making a website and getting money is not the satisfying part. You’re in this to watch your clients exceed their goals and feel proud to have contributed.
You care about and believe in your clients’ businesses. You have a personal connection that makes the journeys of designer and artisan businesses meaningful to you.
You understand, you relate to, you value and respect each client and their business. With every step on their project, you are aiming to propel your client to where they want to be next.
A Day in the Life
Now that we’ve covered what it’s like to work with Aeolidia, let’s chat about what you would be doing on an average day. The part-time Shopify Designer & Project Coordinator will work 10-20 hours per week (to start, with the goal of growth to a full time position) customizing existing Shopify themes and coordinating those projects with our theme design clients.
Shopify Design responsibilities include learning about the project’s strategy and goals during the planning stages of each project, designing and revising alongside the client, then faithfully recreating that design, and any scoped features, in the Shopify admin.
You will first familiarize yourself with the brand strategy (either the one developed by Aeolidia’s Brand Strategist, or using the notes provided by the client), then evaluate the assets our clients bring us, improve and expand on them as needed, and create deliverables that align with the client’s goals and our internal scope documents. You will communicate with each client in written messages in our project management software (or by email), on screen share calls, by video, and in chat.
You will also be the project coordinator for this type of project, setting up new projects in our project management system, scheduling each one out to meet the timeline in the proposal, and keeping each client updated regularly about where the project is at, as well as requesting and receiving assets from them, responding to their questions and feedback, and preparing them with the knowledge they need to add their content and to keep their own websites updated post-launch. Your goals are to ensure that each client has all the information they need at each step to do their part and understand what’s coming next and when, as well as to make sure feedback, content, and tasks are being sent and received on time.
Every position with Aeolidia is a remote one, meaning you get to work from wherever you are! There are no set schedules or hours. Flexible schedules that fit around your life are what we do best. However, of course we do expect all of our team members to meet their goals and project expectations, so we’ll have weekly meetings to check in on progress, celebrate successes and help clear roadblocks that have a tendency to pop up from time to time. We want to ensure you (and every team member at Aeolidia) have every chance to be successful in this role and we’re committed to doing our part to make sure you are.
You’re a Great Fit For Our Team If:
- You can commit to working 10-20 hours per week, possibly growing to a full-time position.
- You have a reliable internet connection which allows you to work from anywhere.
- You’re a Shopify designer with at least three (3) years of experience designing and implementing ecommerce theme design.
- You have at least three (3) years of experience working directly with clients in a project coordination role or customer support role.
- You design using best responsive practices, including using icon fonts and SVG graphics.
- You are familiar with the Shopify theme editor, and can use it quickly and efficiently to modify the design of an existing website theme.
- You know what makes a user-friendly, high-converting ecommerce experience.
- You create well organized, well labeled design files that are easily used and understood by developers and clients.
- You are familiar with optimizing graphics for fast loading on the web.
- You’re experienced in creating an exceptional client experience from start to finish.
- You’re comfortable receiving and following instructions, collaborating with a multi-faceted team and doing your part to ensure every project is completed on time.
- You enjoy developing and maintaining schedules, and moving information and content seamlessly between client and team members.
- You are a skilled communicator who works comfortably one-on-one with clients, as well as with our internal team, including the project management team, developers, and QA testers.
- You are able to express yourself clearly and cheerfully to people at different levels of design and tech-savviness over email, video, and phone.
- You are skilled at giving clear tutorials for using Shopify.
- You are punctual to an extreme.
- You are excited to keep growing and learning best practices and new technologies.
- You’re not someone who settles for the status quo. You continuously look for ways to improve and streamline our processes.
- You’ve been in a Shopify design role for at least five (5) years.
- You have basic understanding of Liquid (Shopify’s templating language), HTML, and CSS for more advanced customizations.
- You hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in a design field.
- You have experience working with ecommerce businesses.
- You’ve worked with and supported creative, small businesses.
Fun Perks to Look Forward To:
As part of the Aeolidia team, here are some benefits we will offer you:
- Flexible work schedule
- Remote work position
- Our virtual office is closed for two weeks during the winter holiday season
- Culture flexibility and freedom in decision making, problem solving, autonomous work environment, and ownership of your position and responsibilities
Flat per-project rates for this role will be based upon your experience and education.
Aeolidia is an equal opportunity employer. We believe diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences to be critical to our success and are passionate about creating a welcoming, supportive, and collaborative environment for all employees. All are encouraged to apply as we continue to grow a smart, hard-working, and diverse team who love working together to build something that matters.
How to Apply
Does this sound exactly like you? Then we’re looking forward to meeting you! Apply here: