This is a part time contract position, which could grow into a full time salaried position.
Aeolidia is a “one stop shop” design agency that develops brands and creates story-centered ecommerce websites for designers, artisans, and curators, since 2004.
We are a remote team of overachievers, united in our common goal of taking creative businesses to the next level. Each person who works at Aeolidia embodies these characteristics:
- Diligent achiever: Committed to exceeding expectations on each and every project.
- Curious learner: Continuously improves skills and knowledge and challenges assumptions.
- Humble expert: Confident about own work, open-minded, and ego never gets in the way.
- Positive ally: Proactively takes responsibility and finds win-win solutions.
- Creative supporter: Enthusiastic about helping small designer businesses succeed.
A Day in the Life
The part-time Junior Web Designer will work 10-20 hours per week (to start, with the goal of growth to a full time position) customizing existing Shopify themes.
Shopify Design responsibilities include learning about the project’s strategy and goals during the planning stages of each project, designing and revising alongside the client, then faithfully recreating that design in the theme editor in the Shopify admin tool.
As a designer for our clients, your work is vital in communicating their story effectively to their customers, and you will work closely with multiple content creators and clients at a time to make sure your designs will help the business owners meet their goals. To achieve this, you will receive guidelines from our ecommerce strategist to be sure your work prepares our clients for success, and will consult with our web developers as needed to implement functionality.
You will first familiarize yourself with the brand strategy (either the one developed by Aeolidia’s Brand Strategist, or using the notes provided by the client), then evaluate the assets our clients bring us, improve and expand on them as needed, and create deliverables that align with the client’s goals and our internal scope documents. You will communicate with each client in written messages in our project management software, on screen share calls, by video, and in chat.
There will be many opportunities on the job to learn from seasoned designers, developers, and strategists, to grow your skill set.
You’re a Great Fit If
You might be the perfect fit for this part-time, remote, contract position (with the possibility for growth into a full-time position) if you are a web designer with solid Shopify and ecommerce familiarity. This job entails incorporating existing brand identity design and graphics into an existing Shopify theme, mostly using Shopify’s visual editor, and there will be developers available to you if any coding is needed.
- You can commit to working 10-20 hours per week, possibly growing to a full-time position.
- You have a reliable internet connection which allows you to work from anywhere.
- You’re a Shopify designer with at least three (3) years of experience designing and implementing ecommerce theme design.
- You design using best responsive practices, including using icon fonts and SVG graphics.
- You are familiar with the Shopify theme editor, and can use it quickly and efficiently to modify the design of an existing website theme.
- You know what makes a user-friendly, high-converting ecommerce experience.
- You are familiar with optimizing graphics for fast loading on the web.
- You’re comfortable receiving and following instructions, collaborating with a multi-faceted team and doing your part to ensure every project is completed on time.
- You are a skilled communicator who works comfortably one-on-one with clients, as well as with our internal team, including the project management team, developers, and QA testers.
- You are able to express yourself clearly and cheerfully to people at different levels of design and tech-savviness over email, video, and phone.
- You are skilled at giving clear tutorials for using Shopify.
- You are punctual to an extreme.
- You are excited to keep growing and learning best practices and new technologies.
- You’re not someone who settles for the status quo. You continuously look for ways to improve and streamline our processes.
- You’ve been in a Shopify design role for at least five (5) years.
- You have basic understanding of Liquid (Shopify’s templating language), HTML, and CSS for more advanced customizations.
- You hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in a design field.
- You’ve worked with and supported creative, small businesses.
Perks & Benefits
As part of the Aeolidia team, here are some benefits we will offer you:
- Flexible work schedule
- Remote work position
- Our virtual office is closed for two weeks during the winter holiday season
- A culture of flexibility and freedom in decision making, problem solving, autonomous work environment, and ownership of your position and responsibilities
- More benefits become available if this position transitions to a full time salaried position
Flat and hourly rates for this role will be set per project.
Aeolidia is an equal opportunity employer. We believe diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences to be critical to our success and are passionate about creating a welcoming, supportive, and collaborative environment for all employees. All are encouraged to apply as we continue to grow a smart, hard-working, and diverse team who love working together to build something that matters.
How to Apply
- Apply by May 30, 2021. If you can’t meet this deadline, we probably aren’t a great match.
- Attach your resume in PDF format.
P.S. If you’re not interested in or available for this position, but know someone who might be, we would really appreciate it if you passed this along!